Re: General advice beyond Org

From: edgar
Subject: Re: General advice beyond Org
Date: Sat, 26 May 2018 07:08:13 +0000

On 2018-05-23, at 06:04, edgar@openmail.cc wrote:

It helps to develop a rational attitude to morality: you do not have
influence on everything, not even all the results of your actions, and hence you do not bear responsibility for what you don't influence. (Of
course, that doesn't mean you don't bear any responsibility for what
you
_do_ influence.)

Do you mean pragmatic or short-sighted by rational? I don't think that
philosophers are necessarily irrational :) (to name a few).

I mean neither.  By "rational" I mean "guided by reason".

I think that we are going to have a conversation on a delightful caffe somewhere in the middle of Venice to discuss about this, because it's still not clear to me. :)

Maybe we tend to forget what a "commercial company" is.  On the one
hand, it is (by definition) a means to make money.  If it doesn't make
money, it does not fulfil its primary purpose, and this means its
broken, and should be either fixed or abandoned.  On the other hand, it
should not be just the instrument of greediness of the owner(s).  They
in turn are people, and their primary purpose is completely different.

This conversation is going to be an interestingly long one indeed.

If you identify yourself too much with any kind of commercial endeavor,
it is a sign of very serious problems.

I taught Emacs to a friend, whom I sometimes show cool tricks.  Once
I showed him multiple cursors, which required some choreography from my
fingers, but I thought it was quite impressive.  Then he nodded and
asked "I'm wondering what were you doing with your feet."

LOL!

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

I hope to actually meet you one of these days :) .

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the
NSA's hands!
$24.95 ONETIME Lifetime accounts with Privacy Features! 15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas! Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!