Re: Is there a way to "asciify" a string?

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Is there a way to "asciify" a string?
Date: Sun, 27 May 2018 20:04:11 +0700

On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 7:38 PM Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> wrote:

> I have a person's name (possibly with
> some national characters), and I want to derive a filename from it.  It
> doesn't have to be correct in 100% cases.  It doesn't even have to be
> unambiguous (there will be a number for that in the filename, too).

Technically you could use the name of a person as is, as long as it is
representable in Unicode and contains neither the null character nor the
slash character. But I assume you want a filename that is portable between
file systems, or a filename that can be represented in an URI path segment
without %-encoding, or any combination of the above.

In that case, the Python unidecode library is probably the closest that you
can find. But make very sure that the people involved never see their own
name’s transliteration.