Re: General advice beyond Org

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: General advice beyond Org
Date: Sun, 27 May 2018 20:19:53 +0200

() Stefan Monnier <monnier@IRO.UMontreal.CA>
() Sun, 27 May 2018 13:19:41 -0400

   > >    If you add "freedom to do X" you inevitably remove the
   > >    "freedom from having others do X".
   > X is Free Software.
   > i write some, share it widely.
   > this stops your X how?

   Of course, like all tradeoffs, some are trivial because the
   downside is negligible.  Still, which part of what I wrote do
   you dispute?

I'm not disputing anything (at least, i don't think so), besides
the assertion that i'm disputing anything.  :-D

My writing that is me scratching my chin, trying a value in a
variable position to see how the expression evaluates.

I suppose i was trying to find X that does / does not fulfill
the zero-sum vibe of what you wrote, expressing my thoughts in a
concise, stylized way.

Still, if a dispute aimed at a particular part must be conjured,
i suppose the word "inevitably" would be the obvious candidate.

My understanding of "freedom from having others do X" hinges on
"having others do X" to mean "delegation of X to others".  So,
when X is "writing/sharing free software", we get:

 If you add "freedom to w/s free software" you inevitably remove
 the "freedom from delegating w/s of free software to others".

This, to my ear, doesn't hold fully.  I can imagine myself a
hacker honcho w/ flunkies who i assign to do exactly what i am
trying to do (write/share free software), perhaps even the same
algorithm, for purposes of downstream analysis, deconstruction
and re-synthesis to form the "best" implementation.  There is no
no inevitability of removal in this scenario (that i can see).

Anyway, these are new thoughts, so thanks for provoking them!
(My original ponderings were not so profound.)  This dispute is
a quite a stretch, anyway (i'm out of practice) -- what am i
missing?

--
 (defun responsep (query)               ; (2018) Software Libero