Re: Emacs/Publishing/WYSIWYG

From: ken
Subject: Re: Emacs/Publishing/WYSIWYG
Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 14:47:14 -0400

On 05/30/2018 12:58 PM, Bob Newell wrote:
> The advantages of plain text are hard to overstate, as is the
> advantage of having everything from plot notes to research material in
> a single (large) file under version control. And building up a novel
> from an outline is a natural process with org-mode.

Yes to all, except... I tried org-mode a few years ago and found it
often limiting and sometimes difficult to fathom, the latter mostly due
to geekified terminology. So I stayed with html (along with CSS, of
course).  Why should I write in something that can be converted into
html, when I can write in html directly?  There are many reasons why I
prefer html (I use html-helper-mode) over org-mode, but a major
consideration is that the Kindle publishing language is essentially
html, in ways a subset of it, with a few Kindle-proprietary html tags
tossed in.

Just thought I'd toss in another option.

Whatever your favorite flavor-mode, it's nice to see authors using emacs.