RE: Is there a way to "asciify" a string?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Is there a way to "asciify" a string?
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2018 22:33:48 +0000 (UTC)

> My use case is much, much simpler than much of the stuff mentioned in
> this thread.  99.5% (or more) of the cases are Polish names, where we
> have only 9 "offending" letters, all easily asciified.  I thought there
> is a simple, general solution (and I learned there isn't and probably
> there can't be).
> KISS

If you want a really rudimentary, KISS solution along those
lines, just apply a set of mappings of the chars you're
interested in.

I used that approach in the last millenium, in `unaccent.el'
(and I still use it occasionally).

I was interested only in translating letters with trema/umlaut,
circumflex, grave & acute accents, cedilla, tilde, S-zed,
guillemets, ae ligature, slashed O, angstrom, and upside-down
question mark & exclamation point - so my translation alist
contained only those mappings.  But you could using any
mapping, just by redefining variable `reverse-iso-chars-alist'
(not a good name, considering its generality, but that's what
I was using it for).

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/unaccent.el