Re: [Rmail] Fighting spam

From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: Re: [Rmail] Fighting spam
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2018 06:37:26 +0200

Hello Bob,

> Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2018 11:19:22 -0600
> From: Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>
>
> Xavier Maillard wrote:
> > with latest Rmail development, what is the simplest method to protect
> > myself agaisnt spam ? THere are a few messages that are auto-magicallly
> > labeled with a « spam » keyword but I can't find why it happens :)
> >
> > I need a way ton instruct this protector with other material to get him
> > even better.
>
> IIRC the Rmail rules are able to classify the reading and display of
> both non-spam and spam messages but is not a spam classification
> engine itself.  For that you would probably look to using SpamAssassin
> or another spam classification engine such as BogoFilter or other or
> some combination of all of the above.  I am currently using a pipeline
> through bogofilter and spamassassin.  However even better is to avoid
> receiving the spam in the first place by using a DNSBL such as the Xen
> list from Spamhaus.  Best is combined arms tactics using a combination
> of available techniques.

Got it.

I am not getting that much spam these days but having some tools and
techniques to fight it when a spam wave comes by may be useful.

> You didn't say how email is getting delivered to your system.

For a couple of years I was geting to my mail through IMAP servers but
I was not satisfied having my e-mails stored and synced on every devices I was
using. I have now switched back to POP and a sole copy on 1 computer and only 1.

I have defined `rmail-primary-inbox-alist' to '("po:...").

There is no other tool in the workflow (I got rid of
fetchmail/getmail, procmail and the like).

Regards
--
Xavier Maillard
e/j:xavier@maillard.im               w:www.maillard.im