Problem with simple script to clean out an ERC buffer

From: J. David Boyd
Subject: Problem with simple script to clean out an ERC buffer
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2018 17:21:54 -0400

I've put this together:

(defun clearERCbuffer()
(interactive)
(previous-line)
(end-of-line)
(set-mark(point))
(beginning-of-buffer)
(exchange-point-and-mark)
; (set-text-properties (point-min) (point-max) nil nil )
(delete-region (point-min) (point-max)))

(bind-key (kbd "H-C-c") 'clearERCbuffer)

So I go into an ERC buffer, put the cursor at the prompt, hit H-C-c, and it
always tells me that "Text is read-only"

But, if I manually execute the commands above, and press C-w when I get to the
delete-region command, it works fine.

I tried the set-text-properties to remove any read-only attributes, but that
makes no difference.

What stupidly obvious item am I overlooking?

Thanks,

Dave in Hudson, FL