Re: [Rmail] Fighting spam

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Rmail] Fighting spam
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2018 23:35:28 -0600

Xavier Maillard wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > You didn't say how email is getting delivered to your system.
>
> For a couple of years I was geting to my mail through IMAP servers but
> I was not satisfied having my e-mails stored and synced on every devices I was
> using. I have now switched back to POP and a sole copy on 1 computer and only
> 1.

I just find IMAP to be quite slow, especially as compared to having
the files locally available and cached in file system buffer cache.

> I have defined `rmail-primary-inbox-alist' to '("po:...").
>
> There is no other tool in the workflow (I got rid of
> fetchmail/getmail, procmail and the like).

If you do end up with a spam problem in the future you might consider
filtering your email through a spam classification system like
spamassassin or something similar on the way into your mailbox.
Perhaps fetching into a spooling folder and then filtering into a main
folder.  Or something similar.  But I think rmail by itself is going
to depend upon an external filter for it to at least add headers, just
like most mail readers these days.

Bob