Re: Problem with simple script to clean out an ERC buffer

From: Jonathan Kyle Mitchell
Subject: Re: Problem with simple script to clean out an ERC buffer
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2018 14:12:05 -0500

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 12:43 PM, Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> wrote:
> This reminds me that clear, as in clear(1) or
> /usr/bin/clear , doesn't do anything in
> Shell mode either (Shell mode as in shell.el).
>
> But hey, aren't programmers trained to see the
> beauty in symmetry?
>
> --
> underground experts united
> http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

That's expected since /usr/bin/clear assumes it's talking to a "real"
terminal which shell.el is not. On the other hand, eshell.el has its
own clear command implemented in Lisp that should work.

erc-cmd-CLEAR does something different even though its docstring says
it "clears" the window contents. It basically just moves the current
line up to the top of the window without erasing the buffer. Whether
that's the intention I can't say.

--
Jonathan Kyle Mitchell