Re: [Rmail] Fighting spam

From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: Re: [Rmail] Fighting spam
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2018 06:42:54 +0200

> Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2018 23:35:28 -0600
> From: Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>
>
> Xavier Maillard wrote:
> > Bob Proulx wrote:
> > > You didn't say how email is getting delivered to your system.
> >
> > For a couple of years I was geting to my mail through IMAP servers but
> > I was not satisfied having my e-mails stored and synced on every devices I
> > was
> > using. I have now switched back to POP and a sole copy on 1 computer and
> > only 1.
>
> I just find IMAP to be quite slow, especially as compared to having
> the files locally available and cached in file system buffer cache.

True. At the time I was depending on IMAP, I used to install
OfflineImap to get it of this problematic. But, in the end, why use
IMAP at all ? I'd rather have this right in my local FS and not spread
on many unsecured devices (with latest events around privacy, that
would not hurt to get better control of that).

> > I have defined `rmail-primary-inbox-alist' to '("po:...").
> >
> > There is no other tool in the workflow (I got rid of
> > fetchmail/getmail, procmail and the like).
>
> If you do end up with a spam problem in the future you might consider
> filtering your email through a spam classification system like
> spamassassin or something similar on the way into your mailbox.
> Perhaps fetching into a spooling folder and then filtering into a main
> folder.  Or something similar.  But I think rmail by itself is going
> to depend upon an external filter for it to at least add headers, just
> like most mail readers these days.

Right, it needs an external tool so I guess I will have to use getmail
+ SA for example at some point.

That's a pity since, after all, it will just be used to add headers
and let Rmail automatically "discard" -ie. dispatch into different
files.

--
Xavier Maillard
e/j:xavier@maillard.im               w:www.maillard.im