Re: Going Unicode all out in Emacs 26.1

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Going Unicode all out in Emacs 26.1
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2018 15:19:43 +0300

> From: Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2018 15:50:08 +0530
>
> > Please explain what you mean by "work in Unicode".  I don't think I
> > understand the issues you are having or are envisioning to have.  And
> > "Unicode" has a very specific interpretation in the Windows world, in
> > some contexts.
>
> I have no issues so far; all I wanted to know was whether there are
> any .Emacs settings that needs to be fiddled with to make Unicode work
> on Windows.  I just checked the Hello file, all languages seem to
> render correctly in terms of the chars that I see.   I see that the
> modeline has got a U with a tooltip 'utf-8-emacs-dos' which should
> allow me to work in Emacs and nonemacs Windows application like
> notepad(reading the file for e.g)?

Well, that doesn't really answer my question, sop I'd try to answer
what I think you may be asking.

 . Visiting UTF-8 encoded files should "just work".
 . If you want to _create_ UTF-8 encoded files, you will need to
   request that explicitly using "C-x RET c" before saving a file.
 . Visiting UTF-16 encoded files may require "C-x RET c" before
   "C-x C-f".  (UTF-16 is what is called "Unicode" on Windows, which
   was one reason why I asked my question.)
 . File names are supported even if they include characters not
   supported by the current system codepage.
 . Receiving sub-process output encoded in UTF-8 should work with
   programs known to output UTF-8, such as Git; in other cases you may
   need to use "C-x RET c" or customize your process-coding-system-alist.
 . Beware of passing to programs command-line arguments encoded in
   UTF-8: that doesn't work.

HTH