Re: How to really clear eshell buffer?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: How to really clear eshell buffer?
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2018 23:39:51 +0200

> (defun eclear ()
>   (interactive)
>   (let ((inhibit-read-only t))
>     (delete-region (point-min) (point-at-bol)) ))

In the thread about ERC, the question was
raised why one couldn't just throw away the IRC
logs and be done with it.

Here, the question is the same, only opposite,
why would one want to throw the previous work
and IO away?

I remember using the Linux VT before I learned
about tmux [1], it was very annoying that one
could never scroll back to see information
already processed. Note that this limitation
was always there, and one didn't even have to
(ab)use clear, still, using clear this way
brings me back to that very
frustrated situation.

To clear the screen to clear one's thoughts,
i.e. to focus, is one thing, but then why is it
necessary to remove the material altogether,
why isn't just hiding it above enough?

[1] I hear one can do the same with screen and
    probably some other software as well.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573