Re: on adding a function call to a s-exp

From: Noam Postavsky
Subject: Re: on adding a function call to a s-exp
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2018 22:38:05 -0400

On 9 June 2018 at 18:05, Robert Girault <rfrancoisgirault@gmail.com> wrote:
> In Lisp mode, when I select a region, in whatever way of selecting it,
> and press (, it surrounds the region with parentheses, (...|), but it

Hmm, that must be some package you have installed, by default ( just
inserts a ( at point without wrapping anything.

> puts the point where ``|'' is.  I'd like the point to be at (|...) so
> I can add a function call to that region without having to move the
> point back to the beginning of the region.
>
> I'm surprised this isn't the default behavior.

In emacs -Q M-( does what you want.

  M-( runs the command insert-parentheses (found in global-map), which
  is an interactive compiled Lisp function in ‘lisp.el’.

  It is bound to M-(.

  (insert-parentheses &optional ARG)

  Enclose following ARG sexps in parentheses.
  Leave point after open-paren.
  [...]
  If region is active, insert enclosing characters at region boundaries.