Re: on adding a function call to a s-exp

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: on adding a function call to a s-exp
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 15:34:21 +0100

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 3:35 PM, Robert Girault <rfrancoisgirault@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> writes:
>
> > Robert Girault <rfrancoisgirault@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> (show-paren-mode)
> >> (electric-pair-mode)
> >> (autoload 'enable-paredit-mode "paredit"
> >>     "Turn on pseudo-structural editing of Lisp code."
> >>      t)
> >> (add-hook 'M-mode-hook 'enable-paredit-mode)
> >
> > I don't know what M-mode is, but in elisp-lisp-mode and with paredit,
> > it's like you want.  If you use paredit for Emacs Lisp, you probably
> > also don't need electric-pair-mode.
>
> I confirm this.  (Thanks!)
>
> > Without paredit-mode, AFAICT what you get when you hit M-( is
> > `insert-pair' via `insert-parentheses', and that has hardcoded what you
> > see.  You would have to change `insert-pair' to get what you want - with
> > an advice probably.  Alternatively, as said, paredit should behave as
> > you want without configuration.
>
> I'll choose to use paredit and learn how to use it properly.  (There'll
> likely be other good things there that I don't currently know or use.)

I suggest you also give (the newer, 24.4+) eletric-pair-mode a try.  It
should work consistently in all emacs major modes, not just lisp
modes, and is maintained together with Emacs. By default, in
emacs-lisp-mode you won't notice a difference to paredit for the most
common operations (you *will* notice that it lets you unbalance the
buffer temporarily though, but I consider that a feature).

disclaimer, if you hadn't figured it out: I wrote it :-)

João