Default Emacs major mode switched to fundamental-mode?

From: Peter Xu
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 07:40:26 +0800

Hello,

I did a recent upgrade of my Fedora 28 system, after that I noticed
that my default major mode for Emacs now becomes fundamental-mode
instead of text-mode (I believe it was before).  I noticed this when I
found all my key bindings are missing when drafting emails via
emacsclient invoked.

Now I'm working around this using this as the last statement of my
configuration files:

(setq auto-mode-alist (append auto-mode-alist '(("" . text-mode))))

Just want to know whether there is any better solution for this?  And
why after all we switched the default mode?  Shouldn't that break a
lot of people, or it's just me?

I noticed that there is a "default-major-mode" variable that I can
setup, however it's already text-mode. While if I open another new
common window it'll still be the fundamental mode not text mode.  So
how would I use this variable?

Thanks in advance!

--
Peter Xu