Re: DocView resolution for PDF on WQHD

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: DocView resolution for PDF on WQHD
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2018 21:30:06 +0700

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 4:11 PM Van L <van@scratch.space> wrote:

> The PDF's font rendering is mildly awful on Mac¹ port Emacs 26.1 or in Emacs
> 27.0.50 over XQuartz.
>
> Is there a way to confirm I have the best display resolution for when viewing
> PDF² in Emacs?

I am using a HiDPI monitor with X11/GNU/Linux, and yes, out-of-the-box
rendering in that configuration is pretty accurately described by the
expression “mildly awful”.

I was able to achieve a non-awful result by customizing:

    (setq doc-view-resolution 192)

(to match my system’s idea of the monitor’s pixel density).

If you also want to use +/- keys to enlarge or reduce the displayed
page, you might want to set that higher than your actual DPI.

> Mac port has improved high resolution abilities, I believe.

There is absolutely no reason to think only Mac users deserve nice
rendering in HiDPI configurations.