Re: Making a non-ASCII space character visible

From: Will Parsons
Subject: Re: Making a non-ASCII space character visible
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 17:05:06 -0400

On Monday, 18 Jun 2018 10:30 PM -0400, Nick Helm wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jun 2018 at 12:12:29 +1200, Will Parsons wrote:
>
>> OK - I have now modified my .emacs file to have the following lines:
>>
>> -------
>> (setq whitespace-display-mappings '((space-mark     32 [183] [46])
>>                                     (space-mark    160 [164] [95])
>>                                     (space-mark   8199 [164] [95])
>>                                     (newline-mark   10 [36 10])
>>                                     (tab-mark        9 [187 9] [92 9])))
>> (global-whitespace-mode 1)
>> (setq-default whitespace-style '(face lines-tail tabs trailing))
>> -------
>>
>> I have removed the setting of whitespace-display-mappings that I had
>> previously manually introduced to custom.el, and the only other
>> setting that appears to reference whitespace is the setting
>>
>>   (whitespace-tab ((t (:background "#081820" :foreground "darkgray")))
>>
>> in my custom.el file, which I have now removed.
>>
>> Unfortunately, after making these changes, and having restarted Emacs,
>> there is still no change to the display of u+2007.
>
> This looks good, just a couple more things to tweak. You need to turn on
> visualising of space characters by adding "space-mark" to
> whitespace-style:
>
>   (setq-default whitespace-style '(face lines-tail space-mark tabs trailing))
>
> This variable tells whitespace-mode and global-whitespace-mode which
> classes of chars you want to visualise when one of the modes is active.
> The space-mark entry tells Emacs to visualise the various space-mark
> chars you set up with whitespace-display-mappings, in partiuclar your
> new entry for FIGURE SPACEs.
>
> The only other thing is don't forget to put the expressions that set the
> configuration variables (the setqs) before you active the mode,
> something like this:
>
>   (setq whitespace-display-mappings '((space-mark     32 [183] [46])
>                                       (space-mark    160 [164] [95])
>                                       (space-mark   8199 [164] [95])
>                                       (newline-mark   10 [36 10])
>                                       (tab-mark        9 [187 9] [92 9])))
>   (setq-default whitespace-style '(face lines-tail space-mark tabs trailing))
>   (global-whitespace-mode 1)
>
> Try this in your ~/.emacs, cross fingers and restart Emacs.

Thank you very much!  The code above didn't *quite* meet my needs,
since regular spaces were indicated by an unwanted middle-dot
character, but that was easily remedied by deleting the mappling for
0020 from whitespace-display-mappings.  With that change, everything
seems good.

So, once again, thanks to you, Eli, and the others who have helped me
solve my original problem, and given me a better understanding how
whitespace-mode fits together in the process.

--
Will