Re: Separate area at the top for a serious tab bar

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Separate area at the top for a serious tab bar
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 12:01:26 -0700

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> R. Diez wrote:
>> > A tabbar does not preclude other buffer switching methods. I often
>> > have many buffers open. But I tend to keep the "local context" (the
>> > tabs that are visible right now) sorted (.h left from .cpp and so
>> > on).
>> >
>> > I would not underestimate this kind of usability matter. It may
>> > well be one of the biggest factors driving people away from
>> > Emacs. It could even be a necessary evil until most people learn
>> > to do away with the tabbar. Humans are just like that.
>>
>> FWIW, I consider tabbar to be in the same class as line numbers: while
>> not really an Emacs'y thing, at least not for us veteran curmudgeons,
>> they are very popular in some quarters, and if we want to make those
>> people happy, we should have them.
>
> I like your thinking here.
>
> I feel compelled to note that no one has mentioned the "speedbar"
> interface here.  There is an entire another camp of speedbar followers
> too.  Yet another way to manage and switch files and buffers.

It seems like speedbar is nearly capable of doing what the OP wants. I
think the only part of his request that isn't really doable out of the
box is the ability to manually arrange a small group of buffers in close
proximity to each other, for ease of switching. It seems like this is
something speedbar could do without massive amounts of coding.

Personally I really like projectile, and
`helm-projectile-switch-to-buffer', for this sort of thing. If I know
I'm going to be working with three or four files in particular, I close
all other buffers in the project, and that command becomes very useful
for quick switching.

Eric