Re: Newline and copy above line's indentation

From: Dan Espen
Subject: Re: Newline and copy above line's indentation
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2018 20:25:18 -0400

HASM <hasm@example.invalid> writes:

> me> Emacs has a builtin AdaptiveFillMode, but
> me> filladapt tends to do a better job.
>
> eb> OK, and this cannot be brought to GNU Emacs
> eb> because of incompatible licenses? What does
> eb> XEmacs have? GNU Emacs has GNU GPL v3, right?
>
> It may have to do with the underlying licenses, but (and I could be
> completely off base here) I seem to remember something to the effect
> that the author/copyright owner, didn't agree with the release form
> required by GNU/FSF.

According to JWZ:

  all of our work on Emacs (and on GCC and GDB) was released under the
  GPL. We even assigned the copyright on all of our work back to the
  FSF, because we had no proprietary interest in Emacs per se: it was
  just a tool that we wanted to use

https://www.jwz.org/doc/lemacs.html

I used lemacs/XEmacs a long time, (until GNU/Emacs caught up and surpassed
XEmacs).

--
Dan Espen