Re: Emacs for forums?

From: Hikaru Ichijyo
Subject: Re: Emacs for forums?
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2018 11:05:13 -0500

Something to consider as we discuss JavaScript capability and more usage
of EWW features to implement this, is that one advantage Emacs has
enjoyed up to this point as an Internet client is a much smaller attack
surface for exploits to take advantage of.  Not many comprimised/hostile
web sites out there are just waiting for someone to come around in a
browser running in a Lisp environment.

But as we start to use libxml2 and JavaScript, etc., we are starting to
head down that road where our browsing environment is just as ripe for
the picking as anyone else's.  I don't want to slow this effort down.
Believe me, there are webboards I'd be using more if I didn't have to
"mousercize" my way through them, trying to find out what articles are
new since last time by clicking sixteen web links for each one and
scrolling up and down through lots of graphics just to see if I'm done
in the forum I'm in and I can go on to the next one.

We just don't want to take on so much of this browser functionality that
Emacs starts to have some of the same security problems that big GUI
browsers tend to have.

--
He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent