Re: Emacs for forums?

From: James Taylor
Subject: Re: Emacs for forums?
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2018 12:53:54 -0600

Hikaru Ichijyo <ichijyo@macross.sdf.jp> writes:

> We just don't want to take on so much of this browser functionality that
> Emacs starts to have some of the same security problems that big GUI
> browsers tend to have.

Oh, I completely agree with that concern. This would undoubtedly, if it
ever happens, need to be a "bare minimum" approach that doesn't make
Emacs an interesting target.

One thought I had was to make a small external program (in a container,
maybe?) that does nothing more than take the requested webpage and make
it more palatable to Emacs, with the ability to update and change pages
on demand and no direct route to Emacs' files from that external
program. Maybe there could be editable fields that the external program
sends in a text interface for Emacs, processes after editing, and pushes
to the current forum site.

Combining that with a password manager like pass that integrates with
GPG might be interesting as well.

Of course, I don't have the ability to do any of this, it's idle musing
and no doubt reinventing the wheel in a lot of ways.