Re: Visual Line mode with no fringe indicators in 26.1

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Visual Line mode with no fringe indicators in 26.1
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 10:47:25 +0300

> From: Matt Mello <matt812@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 00:32:46 -0700
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
>  See the user option visual-line-fringe-indicators.  I'm guessing some
>  of these buffers have it set so as to disable the fringe indicators.
>
>  What matters is the local value in each buffer, not necessarily the
>  global value.
>
> I had the *scratch* buffer in focus when I described the
> visual-line-fringe-indicators variable, which you can
> see in the screenshot in the *Help*<2> buffer.  So, that value is the value
> of visual-line-fringe-indicators in the
> scratch buffer.  (Right?)
>
> What more can I do to to force it to happen?

I don't know.  This recipe works for me in Emacs 26:

  emacs -Q
  Type:

    (setq visual-line-fringe-indicators '(left-curly-arrow right-curly-arrow))

  Evaluate the above sexp by putting point at its end and pressing
  "C-x C-e" or C-j.
  M-x visual-line-mode RET

If it doesn't work for you, try toggling visual-line-mode after
setting visual-line-fringe-indicators, maybe you set the variable
after visual-line-mode was already turned on.