Re: Flyspell difficult to configure, documentation not honest

From: Brett Gilio
Subject: Re: Flyspell difficult to configure, documentation not honest
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 20:45:43 -0500

Eric S Fraga writes:
Exactly and that's one of its most important selling points: my Emacs is not your Emacs or anybody else's. It works the way *I* want it and yours works how you want it. Indication of a software system done well
in my view.

This is quite literally the privilege of not only GNU/Linux, but Emacs as a whole, the ability to have a capacity for individual workflows to an unprecedented level. There is no monolithic way to achieve a certain task, to produce a specific outcome. While there are ways more custom to be "correct" or traditional, Emacs (or anything derived from a Lisp) is
rarely included in this procedure the way other applications are.

The strength of Emacs lies in its community and its ability to perform
such a vast variety of tasks in a way that is simply uncomparable.

As far as Flyspell goes, the documentation in my opinion seems more or less clear, and is not in any way intended to obfuscate the end-user from its use with precision. However, there are parts of it that may be
dated.

--
Brett M. Gilio
Free Software Foundation, Member