Re: Most used words in current buffer

From: Udyant Wig
Subject: Re: Most used words in current buffer
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2018 18:21:10 +0530

On 07/20/2018 08:38 AM, Bob Newell wrote:
> By the way on a 2 MB file the elisp version runs in a few seconds.
> Hats off to the coder.

I am still looking to improve it.  For example, on a 4.5 MB text file,
the original version takes over 5 seconds to run, as measured using the
functions #'benchmark-run and #'benchmark-run-compiled.

Is it feasible to read words from the buffer and hash them directly from
there?  Or, going further, is there a better way to do this -- counting
words and producing the N most used -- using some other design, maybe
with some other data structure?

> Bob Newell
> Honolulu, Hawai`i

Udyant Wig
--
We make our discoveries through our mistakes: we watch one another's
success: and where there is freedom to experiment there is hope to