Re: Most used words in current buffer

From: Udyant Wig
Subject: Re: Most used words in current buffer
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2018 19:09:14 +0530

On 07/21/2018 04:55 AM, Bob Proulx wrote:
> I have two stories that I find funny about ed.  This one happened in
> the last week.  A friend at a meetup had a problem with his Ubuntu
> laptop.  His GUI was broken and needed a small file fix.  This person
> uses the GUI for everything and had no terminal editors installed, as
> far as I could tell.  Not vi, vim, nor emacs nor other.  Of course
> this person's normal GUI editors were unavailable without X running.
> But strangely 'ed' *was* installed.  I don't use Ubuntu but I guess it
> got installed by default there.  Or something pulled it in.  I have no
> idea.
>
> I think you can already tell where this is going.  I used ed to edit
> and fix things.  Being able to use it appeared like magic to this
> person who couldn't imagine you could edit something without a mouse.
>
> This happened in just this last week!  Having ed there made the task
> easy.

The face of the person must have been a picture.

I take the moral of this to be that one ought to know the simpler tools,
even if one never uses them.  I don't know how general this moral is.

> And I'll save the other funny story about ed for another time. :-)

Here's hoping that occasion comes soon.

> Bob

Udyant Wig
--
We make our discoveries through our mistakes: we watch one another's
success: and where there is freedom to experiment there is hope to