Re: Interactively edit a list of strings

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Interactively edit a list of strings
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 18:33:51 +0700

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 12:40 PM Joe Riel <joer@san.rr.com> wrote:

> It's part of a syntax checker/corrector for the Maple language.  A
> tool (mint, analogous to lint) generates a buffer of the variables
> that are undeclared in the source.  I grab the list and allow the user
> to either quote them in the source or declare them as locals or
> globals.  Being able to delete selected items from the list allows
> performing a common operation on the remaining.  The typical case is
> that almost all the variables should be quoted, but a few should be
> declared as locals.

For that case, there is a better UI idiom. You could let the user mark
multiple items with ‘m’, unmark with ‘u’, and perform common
operations on the marked items. For instances of this workflow, see
Dired, Ibuffer, and bookmark-bmenu-list.

The easiest implementation is probably still tabulated-list-mode and
you’ll have to implement marking, unmarking and
act-on-marked-items-or-item-at-point.