Re: emacs-"distribution" for windows?

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: emacs-"distribution" for windows?
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 01:43:18 +0100

emacs-list-18@pgxml.net writes:

> Hi,
>
>  i need a bit input from emacs users on the windows platform.
>
>  What "distribution" do you use? Is the windows emacs from gnu suitable
>  for day to day work, or are there more windows-optimized emacs-dists
>  out there?
>
>  Just tell me a bit about your setup, and what the main tasks you with
>  emacs are.

I don't use any distribution.  I use the standard files from gnu.org.

I do install other libraries and ports of GNU utility programs like
aspell, man, grep, find, gzip and tar.  I also install Info-zip, bzip2,
xz and lzip.

I get the extra libraries (for images, etc) from the ezwinports page.  I
get many of the utility programs from MinGW.  I use ezwinports for the
utility programs if MinGW is out-of-date, which it often is.  I usually
install compilers like Gcc while I'm at it.

I'm thinking about changing this procedure, because it can be time
consuming.  There's now MinGW-w64 which is being maintained (unlike the
original MinGW).  I might try using that.

I keep a list of my procedure for installing Emacs on a Windows PC.

BR,
Robert Thorpe