Re: emacs-"distribution" for windows?

From: Anssi Saari
Subject: Re: emacs-"distribution" for windows?
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 09:28:02 +0300

emacs-list-18@pgxml.net writes:

>  What "distribution" do you use? Is the windows emacs from gnu suitable
>  for day to day work, or are there more windows-optimized emacs-dists
>  out there?

I use what Gnu project has available. I've also used Xemacs in Windows
but that was around 2004 or so.

>  Just tell me a bit about your setup, and what the main tasks you with
>  emacs are.

I have a shared setup in Dropbox that works for Linux and Windows. My
"tasks" are mostly notes and todo lists in org-mode and some hardware
designs using VHDL. I write some small bits of software sometimes too,
shell scripts and Python. Sometimes also C or C++.

As I recall, spell checking with wcheck-mode was a bit of a challenge in
Windows, I had luckily an old copy of Enchant around from somewhere
which helped a lot. I wasn't able to find a binary online later.

For ediff to work, I have diff and diff3 in the path from somewhere,
probably unxutils. Also I have Exuberant Ctags in the path and have to
remember to rename the bundled ctags.exe when I update Emacs... This is
for ggtags I think or maybe some other package needed it. I realize now
I should have better documentation about my setup. There are so many
parts, CEDET, auto-complete, ac-python-async, projectile...

I also have svn and git binaries in the path, the former is bundled with
Tortoise SVN, the latter I don't know where from. Although I don't
really use Emacs for version control it's good it's aware and I can see
what version I'm working on.