Re: BUG in Tramp: After sleep, saving file hangs

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: BUG in Tramp: After sleep, saving file hangs
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 09:38:13 +0200

ken <gebser@mousecar.com> writes:

Hi Ken,

> The first time after I put that line in my config file, it worked
> almost, but not completely.  It hung at:
>
> Opening connection for lunar using scp...done
>
> After about a half minute I did C-g, then did C-x C-s a second time and
> it worked.  That's a vast improvement over most previous behavior.

There are several timeouts in Tramp for 60 seconds. Maybe you wait that
time, in order to see what Tramp tells?

> The second time (again, after coming out of sleep mode) going into an
> already-opened buffer, making a change and then trying to save to disk
> (on the remote machine), it worked flawlessly.
>
> The third time (doing exactly the same as I did the first and second
> times), it again worked flawlessly.
>
> So I'm optimistic.  Thanks again.

We could try to catch this. Start a new Emacs with the -Q option, and
set tramp-verbose to 10. Try to provoke the error. If it happens, send
the whole resulting Tramp debug buffer, and tell exactly the steps you
have applied in order to provoke the bug.

If you prefer, you could send this off-list; the debug buffer could be
huge. Maybe we find something there.

Best regards, Michael.