Re: shorter URL for to docs

From: Amin Bandali
Subject: Re: shorter URL for to docs
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2018 10:21:26 -0400

Van L <van@scratch.space> writes:

>>> Is there a chance for the docs' URL to be shorter? compare the following.
>>>
>>> http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Integer.html
>>> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Integer-Type.html
>>
>> Not really.  You can use "s" instead of "software" but that is about
>> it.  That "s" part is really meant as a typing aide and little more.
>> It isn't meant to be used as a canonical name for the page.
>>
>>  https://www.gnu.org/s/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Integer-Type.html
>
> That's too bad. I had my fingers crossed for
>
> https://emacs.gnu.org/elisp/Integer-Type.html

Indeed, as Bob said, the /s/ seems to be the only shorthand
currently available.  But I agree that having shorter urls would
be nice.

I'll raise this with webmasters@ and see if we could maybe set up
redirects like these for GNU package manuals:

https://man.gnu.org/pkgname/node/*https://www.gnu.org/s/pkgname/manual/html_node/*
https://man.gnu.org/pkgname/mono/*https://www.gnu.org/s/pkgname/manual/html_mono/*
https://man.gnu.org/pkgname/*https://www.gnu.org/s/pkgname/manual/*

A subdomain per package might make sense too (as in your example
for emacs), though it'll require more work (either manual or
automatic DNS updates) and may not scale too well.

-amin