Re: Need help debugging GNUS problem

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: Need help debugging GNUS problem
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2018 11:38:40 -0400

rprospero@gmail.com writes:

> I recently tried to set up mail splitting in GNUS.  Instead, I am now in
> a position where I cannot access any of my e-mail.  Furthermore, my
> usual debugging strategy of starting at "emacs -Q" and working through
> my init file from there isn't working, since the problem still occurs
> even without my init file.
>
> To be more specific, when I load GNUS, all of my groups appear.
> However, if I attempt to load any of my maildir accounts, I get the
> following error

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Trying to require a method that doesn’t
> exist")
>   signal(error ("Trying to require a method that doesn’t exist"))
>   error("Trying to require a method that doesn't exist")
>   gnus-get-function((nil "") server-opened)
>   gnus-server-opened((nil ""))
>   gnus-check-server((nil ""))
>   gnus-select-newsgroup("nnmaildir+Professional:INBOX" nil nil)
>   gnus-summary-read-group-1("nnmaildir+Professional:INBOX" nil t nil nil nil)
>   gnus-summary-read-group("nnmaildir+Professional:INBOX" nil t nil nil nil
> nil)
>   gnus-group-read-group(nil t)
>   gnus-group-select-group(nil)
>   funcall-interactively(gnus-group-select-group nil)
>   call-interactively(gnus-group-select-group nil nil)
>   command-execute(gnus-group-select-group)
>
> With "Professional:INBOX" being the group that I attempted to load in
> that example.
>
> I've confirmed that all of my e-mail is still in the
> Maildir and accessible through other mail apps.
>
> Any advice on where to start looking to fix this issue? I'm on version
> 25.3.1 and running on the Nixos distro.

You have probably made a mistake in ~/.gnus.el. If you can't find it,
maybe post its contents here (modulo any private details that you
might want to elide), although it's probably better to post to one
of the gnus groups.

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler