Re: Automate replace-regexp

From: Skip Montanaro
Subject: Re: Automate replace-regexp
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2018 11:04:58 -0500

If it's a one-time thing, since replace-regexp is a command (uses
(interactive) to prompt for missing parameters), I'd just define a
macro with C-x (. From my edit-last-kbd-macro session (ugly, but only
took a moment to define):

ESC
xreplace-regex ;; self-insert-command * 14
TAB ;; indent-for-tab-command
RET ;; newline
2*\ ;; self-insert-command
bar ;; self-insert-command * 3
SPC ;; self-insert-command
%[0-9]+ ;; self-insert-command * 7
RET ;; newline
\ ;; self-insert-command
bar ;; self-insert-command * 3
RET ;; newline
ESC
xrepla ;; self-insert-command * 6
TAB ;; indent-for-tab-command
reg ;; self-insert-command * 3
TAB ;; indent-for-tab-command
RET ;; newline
2*\ ;; self-insert-command
bar ;; self-insert-command * 3
RET ;; newline
\ ;; self-insert-command
bar ;; self-insert-command * 3
SPC ;; self-insert-command
%,(+ ;; self-insert-command * 4
SPC ;; self-insert-command
2#) ;; self-insert-command * 3
RET ;; newline

Once you've got that, you can name it (name-last-kbd-macro), then if
you want to save it across sessions, edit your ~/.emacs file, and
execute insert-kbd-macro, which does the obvious thing.

Now, I rarely go to those lengths, and if I need to, it's sometimes
simpler to just defun a new function. In this case, it might well be,
something like:

(defun my-replace ()
    (interactive)
    (replace-regexp "..." "...")