Re: query: remapping a mouse press

From: hw
Subject: Re: query: remapping a mouse press
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 20:10:14 +0200

allan gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> writes:

> I am having trouble enabling mouse-wheel-tilt-scroll
>
> Currently I have
>
>     mouse-wheel-tilt-scroll is a variable defined in `mwheel.el'.
>     Its value is t
>     Original value was nil
>
> Possibly it is because my logitech mouse has many buttons and tilting
> the wheel generates mouse-6 and mouse-7, which are bound to scroll-down
> and scroll-up.  I want to bind mouse-6 to scroll-left and tried several
> variations on
>
>    (define-key global-map <mouse-6> 'scroll-left)
>
> but with no success.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

FWIW:

You can use xinput to configure which physical button on a mouse (or trackball,
in this example) is being mapped to which logical button like so:

xinput set-button-map "Kensington Kensington Slimblade Trackball" 2 1 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12
xinput --set-prop "Kensington Kensington Slimblade Trackball" "Evdev Wheel
Emulation" 1
xinput --set-prop "Kensington Kensington Slimblade Trackball" "Evdev Wheel
Emulation Button" 3
xinput --set-prop "Kensington Kensington Slimblade Trackball" "Evdev Wheel
Emulation Axes" 6, 7, 4, 5

This example is for when you use the trackball with your left hand.
(Don't buy that Kensington, it sucks.)

In case you have a Trackman Marble FX that still works:

#  set which button to use for wheel emulation (right button)
# xinput -set-prop "PS2++ Logitech TrackMan" "Evdev Wheel Emulation Button" 3
#  enable the wheel emulation
# xinput -set-prop "PS2++ Logitech TrackMan" "Evdev Wheel Emulation" 1