Re: query: remapping a mouse press

From: hw
Subject: Re: query: remapping a mouse press
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 23:38:47 +0200

allan gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> writes:

> On Sun, Aug 26 2018, hw wrote:
>
>> allan gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> writes:
>>
>>> I am having trouble enabling mouse-wheel-tilt-scroll
> [...]
>> You can use xinput to configure which physical button on a mouse (or
>> trackball,
>> in this example) is being mapped to which logical button like so:
> [...]
>
> Thank you.
>
> I believe that this use of xinput I accomplish with xmodmap.

How did you do that?  I prefer xmodmap because it's way less
complicated, but there seem to be things that can not be done with it,
and mapping mouse buttons seemed to be one of them.

> My question is "downstream" of that.  Assuming I have configured the
> mouse (in my case via xmodmap) and when I push a certain physical button
> it generates a pair of x events
>
> ButtonPress event, serial 36, synthetic NO, window 0x4200001,
>     root 0x13b, subw 0x0, time 28609618, (45,96), root:(464,877),
>     state 0x10, button 13, same_screen YES
>
> ButtonRelease event, serial 36, synthetic NO, window 0x4200001,
>     root 0x13b, subw 0x0, time 28609820, (54,94), root:(473,875),
>     state 0x10, button 13, same_screen YES
>
> How do I tell emacs to do something (say end-of-buffer) when button 13
> is pressed?

Does Emacs receive the event?  You can test with (describe-key).  I
could probably use something like this:

(global-set-key (kbd "<down-mouse-1>") 'end-of-buffer)

That might work if Emacs gets <down-mouse-13>.  If it doesn't know that
many buttons and you're not running out of button numbers, perhaps you
can re-map the buttons with xinput so they have lower button mumbers
Emacs can understand.