Re: Using R-mail in Emacs

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Using R-mail in Emacs
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 16:34:14 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk>
>> Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 10:13:51 +0200
>>
>> > That's not true, because you are supposed to delete mails you no
>> > longer need, or file them to various mail folders.
>>
>> Maybe but I'd rather have the system work for me instead of me having to
>> work at it.  gnus will smartly auto-delete emails for me and will split
>> (if desired) as well.
>
> You mean, Gnus can know when you have no more use of some email
> message and it can be discarded?  How does it do that?

It does (at least) time based auto-expiration. Probably score based as
well [1], plus you can mark messages as expirable/unexpirable.

> When you have no good idea what to search for, having related email
> messages together in the same folder will help finding what you are
> looking for faster.  So I find that some classification is still
> useful, although I have search capabilities set up that can find any
> email in split-seconds.

Iʼm also a fan of the 'big ball of email' model. Filing stuff into
sub-folders just makes me forget where I put it.

Footnotes:
[1]  Lack of features is not a problem Gnus has