Re: Using R-mail in Emacs

From: Vegard Vesterheim
Subject: Re: Using R-mail in Emacs
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 16:08:56 +0200

On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 08:21:49 -0400 Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
wrote:

>> solution.  I've had a look at mu4e but the whole offline IMAP
>> construction puts me off a bit.  I always thought it was necessary
>> because IMAP is fundamentally just slow, but searching through my mail
>> using an Outlook web client is, to my chagrin as a bit of a FOSS
>> die-hard, extremely fast.  Does anyone know why that should be?
>
> That's likely because the web-client uses an ad-hoc (and proprietary in
> this case) protocol between your computer and the mail server, rather
> than IMAP.  So the search is performed on the other side, where the mail
> resides, so it's very much like a "local search in an offline-imap
> mirror".

I am using Gnus with dovecot as IMAP server. Server-side searching
(using the IMAP SEARCH method) works reasonably well, probably because
Dovecot performs some indexing of incoming mails. Dovecot can also do
full text search indexing via several different search engines, but I
have not tried this. I think the IMAP SEARCH method only works on a
single folder, but with Gnus I can mark several folders and perform a
single search across them.

--
- Vegard V -