Re: Lost ability to paste from system.

From: Javier
Subject: Re: Lost ability to paste from system.
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 12:53:40 +0000 (UTC)

> I am using GNU Emacs 27.0.50. Since I started using this version I
> seemed to have lost the ability to paste from my mac.  I am running
> a linux version of emacs in a VNC window, which displays on the
> mac. Using an older version of emacs 24.4.1 I can paste into emacs
> without any issue. But trying to paste into 27.0.50 I either get
> nothing pasted or the last thing I cut in VNC.  Did anything change
> on how emacs deals with the system cut buffer in version 27 vs
> version 24?

You can get a list of suspects by reading the old NEWS files and
searching 'primary' or 'clipboard'

(view-emacs-news 24)
(view-emacs-news 25)
(view-emacs-news 26)
(view-emacs-news 27)

This is what I see, but the list is not complete.

** 'x-select-enable-clipboard' is renamed 'select-enable-clipboard'
and 'x-select-enable-primary' is renamed 'select-enable-primary'.
Additionally they both now apply to all systems (macOS, GNUstep,
MS-Windows, you name it), with the proviso that on some systems (e.g.,
MS-Windows) 'select-enable-primary' is ineffective since the system
doesn't have the equivalent of a primary selection.

** Some "x-*" functions were obsoleted and/or renamed:
*** 'x-select-text' is renamed 'gui-select-text'.
*** 'x-selection-value' is renamed 'gui-selection-value'.
*** 'x-get-selection' is renamed 'gui-get-selection'.
*** 'x-get-clipboard' and 'x-clipboard-yank' are marked obsolete.
*** 'x-get-selection-value' is renamed to 'gui-get-primary-selection'.
*** 'x-set-selection' is renamed to 'gui-set-selection'.

* Editing Changes in Emacs 24.1

** Search changes

*** C-y in Isearch is now bound to `isearch-yank-kill', instead of
`isearch-yank-line'.

*** M-y in Isearch is now bound to `isearch-yank-pop', instead of
`isearch-yank-kill'.

*** M-s C-e in Isearch is now bound to `isearch-yank-line'.

** New commands `count-words-region' and `count-words'.

*** M-= is bound to `count-words-region', not `count-lines-region'.
The `count-words-region' command, when called interactively, reports
the number of lines, words, and characters in the region.  It is a
superset of the old `count-lines-region', which is now an obsolete
alias for it.

** The command `just-one-space' (M-SPC), if given a negative argument,
also deletes newlines around point.

** Deletion changes

*** New option `delete-active-region'.
If non-nil, [delete] and DEL delete the region if it is active and no
prefix argument is given.  If set to `kill', those commands kill
instead.

*** New command `delete-forward-char', bound to [delete].
This is meant for interactive use, and obeys `delete-active-region'.
The command `delete-char' does not obey `delete-active-region'.

*** `delete-backward-char' is now a Lisp function.
Apart from obeying `delete-active-region', its behavior is unchanged.
However, the byte compiler now warns if it is called from Lisp; Lisp
callers should use delete-char with a negative argument instead.

*** The option `mouse-region-delete-keys' has been deleted.

** Selection changes.

The default handling of clipboard and primary selections has been
changed to conform with modern X applications.  In short, most
commands for killing and yanking text now use the clipboard, while
mouse commands use the primary selection.

In the following, we provide a list of these changes, followed by a
list of steps to get the old behavior back if you prefer that.

*** `select-active-regions' now defaults to t.
Merely selecting text (e.g. with drag-mouse-1) no longer puts it in
the kill ring.  The selected text is put in the primary selection, if
the system possesses a separate primary selection facility (e.g. X).

**** `select-active-regions' also accepts a new value, `only'.
This means to only set the primary selection for temporarily active
regions (usually made by mouse-dragging or shift-selection);
"ordinary" active regions, such as those made with C-SPC followed by
point motion, do not alter the primary selection.

**** `mouse-drag-copy-region' now defaults to nil.

*** mouse-2 is now bound to `mouse-yank-primary'.
This pastes from the primary selection, ignoring the kill-ring.
Previously, mouse-2 was bound to `mouse-yank-at-click'.

*** `x-select-enable-clipboard' now defaults to t on all platforms.

*** `x-select-enable-primary' now defaults to nil.
Thus, commands that kill text or copy it to the kill-ring (such as
M-w, C-w, and C-k) also use the clipboard---not the primary selection.

**** The "Copy", "Cut", and "Paste" items in the "Edit" menu are now
exactly equivalent to M-w, C-w, and C-y respectively.

**** Note that on MS-Windows, `x-select-enable-clipboard' was already
non-nil by default, as Windows does not support the primary selection
between applications.

*** To return to the previous behavior, do the following:

**** Change `select-active-regions' to nil.
**** Change `mouse-drag-copy-region' to t.
**** Change `x-select-enable-primary' to t (on X only).
**** Change `x-select-enable-clipboard' to nil.
**** Bind `mouse-yank-at-click' to mouse-2.

*** Support for X cut buffers has been removed.

*** X clipboard managers are now supported.
To inhibit this, change `x-select-enable-clipboard-manager' to nil.

** New command `C-x r N' (`rectangle-number-lines') numbers the lines
in the current rectangle.  With a prefix argument, this prompts for a
number to count from and for a format string.

** `redisplay-dont-pause' now defaults to t.
This makes Emacs feel more responsive to editing commands that arrive
at high rate, e.g. if you lean on some key, because stopping redisplay
in the middle (when this variable is nil) forces more expensive
updates later on, and Emacs appears to be unable to keep up.

** The behavior of <TAB> for active regions in Text mode has changed.
In Text and related modes, typing <TAB> (`indent-for-tab-command')
when the region is active causes Emacs to indent all the lines in the
region, aligning them with the line previous to the first line in the
region (or with the left margin if there is no previous line).

** When `occur' is called with a prefix argument, matching strings are
collected into the `*Occur*' buffer without line numbers.  If there
are parenthesized subexpressions in the specified regexp, `occur'
reads replacement text that may contain \\& and \\N whose convention
follows `replace-match'.