Re: Problem with 'M-x shell' with (setq process-connection-type nil)

From: Alain . Cochard
Subject: Re: Problem with 'M-x shell' with (setq process-connection-type nil)
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 23:47:24 +0200

Stefan Monnier writes on Mon 24 Sep 2018 14:28:

 > > Should I understand from your answer that 'M-x shell' is expected
 > > /not/ to work with such a setq?
 >
 > No, indeed not (i.e. I consider it a bug in `shell`):
 > process-connection-type affects start-process and make-process, but
 > IMO all uses of start/make-process should either *really* not care
 > what it's set to, or they should explicitly override locally the
 > default setting.  IOW, setting process-connection-type globally
 > like you did should never have any visible effect (barring bugs).

Thanks for the explanations.  So I guess I should post to
bug-gnu-emacs.

 > Maybe the following will workaround the Org problem without triggering the
 > shell problem:
 >
 >     (add-advice 'org-export-dispatch :around
 >                 (lambda (orig-fun &rest args)
 >                   ;; Work around a weird problem with xdg-open.
 >                   (let ((process-connection-type nil))
 >                     (apply orig-fun args))))

I get the message

   eval-buffer: Symbol's function definition is void: add-advice

but it does solve the Org LaTeX export problem without problem with
'M-x shell'.

So many thanks again!

a.

--
EOST (École et Observatoire des Sciences de la Terre)
IPG (Institut de Physique du Globe) | alain.cochard@unistra.fr