Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 23:50:59 +0200

Barry Margolin wrote:

> In particular, the GPL makes use of copyright
> to make sure that the software remains free.
> The copyright specifies that you may only
> copy the program if you agree to the license,
> which requires you to make source
> code available.

I still don't understand what OS is used by
Richard Stallman? Debian perhaps, or Hurd?
I heard a rumor recently there is a Hurd Debian
distribution. I wonder how that works?
Perhaps it refers to the Debian software
archives! Because otherwise Debian GNU/Linux is
monolithic, while GNU Hurd is a "microkernel".
BTW I think that designation is misleading.
It should be called a "distributed" or
"conglomerate" OS instead. Because there is
nothing "micro" about the idea - actually it
creates much more complexity than a monolithic
OS! Only some commercial aspects are appealing,
where one can "verify" the kernel - because it
is supposedly small, and in a way it is; only,
in reality the complexity is transferred from
INSIDE the units to BETWEEN the units, where it
is much harder to make sense of anything. Well,
in all modesty, I don't want to educate anyone
on this, especially people who spent many of
their best years not getting it to work.
I mean, that would be totally
unappropriate. Ööö

--
underground experts united