Re: history of argv (was: Re: How to do a massive unfill paragraph opera

From: Skip Montanaro
Subject: Re: history of argv (was: Re: How to do a massive unfill paragraph operation over several hundred files?)
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2018 08:44:50 -0400

> BTW I always thought, without thinking about
> it, that "argv" is a convention in and from the
> C programming language!
>
> But Lisp is older than C (1958 to 1972; Elisp
> in particular tho a 1985 youngster) so perhaps it is the other way around?

Though Lisp is older than C, it hasn't been static that entire time. It's
not surprising to me that particular implementations would adapt to the
ecosystems in which they are dropped (especially, as with Unix, that
becomes the largest installed base for a couple decades), then pick those
adaptations up and take them to other environments. I suspect that if
Multics was still the main Emacs ecosystem, we'd see Multics-like names at
the boundaries. In fact, they might be there and I just don't recognize
them. <wink>

Skip