Re: What OS is used by Richard Stallman

From: microsoft gaofei
Subject: Re: What OS is used by Richard Stallman
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 10:28:26 +0000

>I [always?] took the slash to be pronounced “over” as in fractions.
>Makes it look like a stack ― GNU userland over Linux kernel.
No.
"Android kernel" means the kernel used by Google, and "windows kernel" means
the kernel used by Microsoft, obviously, "Linux kernel" means the kernel inside
a kernel. So "Linux kernel" is definitely wrong. You better say "Linux, the
kernel," and must use comma, see
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nonrestrictive%20clause   . If you
think using comma is a time waster, you can say "the kernel Linux".