Re: What OS is used by Richard Stallman

From: Gian Uberto Lauri
Subject: Re: What OS is used by Richard Stallman
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 11:08:21 +0000

>> I [always?] took the slash to be pronounced “over” as in fractions.
>> Makes it look like a stack ― GNU userland over Linux kernel.
mg> No.  "Android kernel" means the kernel used by Google, and
mg> "windows kernel" means the kernel used by Microsoft, obviously,
mg> "Linux kernel" means the kernel inside a kernel. So "Linux kernel"
mg> is definitely wrong. You better say "Linux, the kernel," and must
mg> use comma, see
mg> https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nonrestrictive%20clause

Linux _IS_ a kernel.

The GNU userland works (in GNU/Linux) by issuing system calls to the
Linux kernel and therefore is "over" the kernel as the Earth crust is
over the core.

--
 /\           ___                                    Ubuntu: ancient
/___/\_|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____               African word

Warning: gnome-config-daemon considered more dangerous than GOTO