Re: Optimising Elisp code

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Optimising Elisp code
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2018 20:50:52 +0200

Óscar Fuentes wrote:

>>> Just in case any bystander finds this post:
>>> don't rely on anything that is mentioned
>>> above, nor for C++ `inline' keyword nor for
>>> code inlining in general.
>>
>> I read it in this book:
>>
>>     @book{cpp-direkt,
>>       author     = {Jan Skansholm},
>>       ISBN       = {91-44-47931-X},
>>       publisher  = {Studentlitteratur},
>>       title      = {C++ direkt},
>>       year       = {1996}
>>     }
>
> The key data point there is "1996". But even
> then things were not as simple as
> you described.

It was basically a translation of what it says.

> Since long time ago C++ "inline" is really
> about the ODR ("One Definition Rule"), not
> about how the compiler generates code.

I have now look it up in another book, namely

    @book{c-programming-language,
      author     = {Bjarne Stroustrup},
      ISBN       = {0-201-53992-6},
      publisher  = {Addison Wesley},
      title      = {The C++ Programming Language},
      year       = 1992
    }

here it says much less, with no attempt to
explain what actually "inline" means, still, it
seems to contradict what you say, because it
says the keyword inline is a "hint to the
compiler" to generate the code inline rather
than have the function called the usual way
(page 124).

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573