Re: Knowing where a function has been used (bis) [Was: Re: Optimising El

From: Garreau, Alexandre
Subject: Re: Knowing where a function has been used (bis) [Was: Re: Optimising Elisp code]
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2018 18:35:00 +0200

On 2018-10-07 at 18:10, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Stefan Monnier wrote:
>
>> Try M-x disassemble RET add-it RET
>> to see how the two calls where compiled.
>
> Next question (first was the number of machine
> instructions vs. call overhead), next question:
> I have 479 `defun's in my Elisp, any general
> pointers as how to determine which of those
> I should consider inlining?

I’d say the most called ones, and the ones you don’t mind not being able
to modify once you began to use them: like if you inline `f', then you
use it in hundreds of functions, you won’t be able to just redefun `f'
and get all these functions benefit from the change.  So it’s a matter
of tradeof between speed (if that’s that much important) and dynamism.