refill paragraph but visually (like visual-line-mode)?

From: Garreau, Alexandre
Subject: refill paragraph but visually (like visual-line-mode)?
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 11:35:50 +0200

Hi,

Keeping seeing differently column-filled messages, and noticing
sometimes this occupy too few columns and too much lines while it is
inferior to 66 (the optimum, I read somewhere (some LaTeX doc I
believe)), I’d like to see text filled differently.

The current problem of visual-line mode and why I almost never use is up
to three reasons:

First of all, the text ends wrapped at the right edge of window, even if
that means quite long lines (such as more than 66 columns: 111 is the
default with my default current font), which is more a pain of reading
(eye must move more, stuff to see are more distant from each others).
Oddly I found nor in searching variables/functions nor in documentation
anything to limit automatic visual word-wrapping to something such as
66, 72, or something more comfortable.

In second stance, when reading source code, and this is normally the
case I’d find word-wrap the most useful, the wrap just happens to
continue the logical line from the *beginning* of the next visual line.
So indentation is broken, and it hard to correctly read afterwards.  I
guess this may be complicated to implement, but as emacs auto indent
works most of time, wouldn’t there a way to put visual indent too?

And last but not least: if the text (usually human text) I’m reading is
already wrapped, by fill-paragraph for instance, I end up with pairs of
filled long-lines + very short lines (lines end) which is really ugly:
word-wrap only wraps, but not refill.  I’d like an option or mode that
puts at the end of the visual line the beginning of the next logical
line, just as fill-paragraph do, but only visually, and keeping an
(invisible) trace of the original/logical newlines.  Maybe while filling
at fill-column behind the scenes.  So I stop hitting M-q
(`fill-paragraph') repetedly while word-wrap is on (isn’t this what
word-wrap is supposed to stop?) to make text readable.