Re: refill paragraph but visually (like visual-line-mode)?

From: Garreau, Alexandre
Subject: Re: refill paragraph but visually (like visual-line-mode)?
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 13:12:51 +0200

On 2018-10-15 at 22:36, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> But I guess if you do it without modifying the buffer (i.e. only
>> using features which affect the display but not the buffer's
>> contents), the warts would at least be "harmless".
>
> I just pushed a visual-fill-mode to GNU ELPA which tries to do just
> that.

Mmmmh, wow I like it much: it automagically takes care of prefixes, and
plays very well with adaptive-wrap and visual-line (though having
continuation marks in fringes about when a line would have been splitted
by word-wrap without visual-fill would have been interesting but maybe
too complex to be worth it) modes …and gets amusing behavior with
highlight-current-line-minor-mode: first of all it highlight prefixes
when they really are in buffer but not when these are inserted by a
mode, and second you see hard lines highlighted instead of visual ones
so you see the difference between both… if you fill-paragraph that
usually plays well except in some cases (I guess because of
word-wrapping).

The two only current drawback is, first of all, when you insert a
newline, it is not hidden, and then that it garbles with message-mode
headers, whose newlines are (exceptionally) of semantic relevance (but
maybe someone could like it as well): maybe something specific to each
mode should specify where newlines (or something else) might be of
semantical relevance.

Damn, this mode makes me enthusiast of word-wrap, maybe even hoping for
hyphenation or advanced high-level things like that I wouldn’t ever have
expected in emacs before.