Re: Newsgroups mailing-list gateway broken thread

From: Garreau, Alexandre
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 21:28:50 +0200

On 2018-10-18 at 20:37, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Garreau, Alexandre wrote:
>
>> I expect the newsgroups gateway *should*
>> work. So this is to fix, rather than
>> suggesting gmane as a workaround (the issue
>> of it being slower is a separate issue).
>
> (This post I send thru gnu.emacs.help - so now
> you can compare it to the Gmane post, if that
> interests you!)

Yeah still exactly the same problems as before.

> Gmane isn't exactly a workaround, either. Or if
> it is, it is a HUGE one!

I’m meaning from your side.  You’d *use* gmane *as* a workaround.  Gmane
per se is not a workaround and I agree it is great.

> Gmane is rather Usenet 2.0 or Usenet Reloaded. It is the best of both
> worlds, the worlds being the mailing lists and the Usenet newsgroups.
>
> Not all Gmane groups are that much slower by the way. I don't know
> why.

To me “the best” would be a tight integration of both smtp and nntp
clients/servers and mailing-list software, written in lisp (not python),
and work in P2P, and would primarily use cryptography for
authentication, if available (think DKIM+PGP+SASL+TLS, pick the
available ones).  But gmane is the best that actually exists right now
:)