Re: call-process and incremental display of output

From: John Shahid
Subject: Re: call-process and incremental display of output
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 17:40:58 -0400

> You might like to (setq-local window-point-insertion-type t) in your
> buffer (make sure you do it before the buffer is displayed in a window).

I'm curious why `save-excursion' doesn't respect the value of
`window-point-insertion-type' ?  I was wondering about this for some
time now.  The behavior I want is to always append the output to the end
of the buffer but not annoy the user if they decide to move the point
somewhere else to look at previous output.  In this case the point
should stay where it is.  This sounds exactly like what markers are
supposed to do.  Unfortunately the marker created by `save-excursion'
always has a `nil' insertion type.  This means I have to maintain my own
marker in an `unwind-protect' similar to what the compilation mode does.
Are there any objections to changing `save-excursion' behavior ?