Re: interference between package and exec-path values ?

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: interference between package and exec-path values ?
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2018 18:14:38 +0900

> On Oct 20, 2018, at 15:35, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <brandelune@gmail.com>
>> Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2018 10:55:23 +0900
>>
>>> Of course!  You are using 'append' incorrectly.  Evaluate
>>>
>>> (append "/usr/local/bin/" exec-path)
>>>
>>> and you will see what kind of result this produces.
>>
>> Yes but :)
>>
>> I had this expression in my .emacs.el file for a while now and it never
>> interfered with package.
>
> I'm sorry, I don't believe you ;-)  Either that expression was not
> evaluated at all, or some other factor(s) were at work that bypassed
> the error.

:) You're wrong not to believe me and you're right that some other factors at
work bypassed the error. I seem to remember that I (badly) copied that
expression from some article because when Emacs does not start from the command
line it does not inherit the environment variables defined by the shell and
thus you have to add the /usr/local/bin path manually from within emacs
parameters.

And it happens that I used to launch GUI emacs from the command line until very
recently when I started to call the Emacs.app binary directly and that's when
the problem started to occur.

>> Also, when I start with -q and evaluated the expressions one by one,
>> evaluating that erroneous expression did *not* trigger the error, it's only
>> when I started emacs without -q that the error was triggered.
>
> What do you mean by "does not trigger the error"?  The evaluation
> itself will never trigger any errors, as it is valid Lisp.  It's only
> when you start using the resulting value of exec-path that the
> problems pop up.  Perhaps previously, the resulting exec-path was
> never used in your sessions.

Would that be possible that when starting emacs from the command line the path
defined by the shell overrides that expression (not sure I'm making sense here)
?

>  But it's a mistake nonetheless.

I understand that part :)

Jean-Christophe Helary