Re: JIT Emacs parallel world

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: JIT Emacs parallel world
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2018 17:50:19 +0200

Phillip Lord wrote:

> Why do you need to have two .emacs? If you
> are going to move from Emacs-24 to Emacs-26,
> then you need to *port* your existing .emacs.
> If you are worried about going backward just
> copy it, or version it.

I have 100+ Elisp files (written by me) and it
all works like a Swiss watch from Terra Prima,
and I know mucking around with it on a large
scale will break Emacs, and I need Emacs to fix
it, and every time that happened was very
unpleasant and frustrating job, so no, I stick
to the repos' Emacs if it can't be
done otherwise.

> If you really need two .emacs, then you have
> to launch at least one Emacs with `-q -l
> ~/.emacs-27" or equivalent. You can use this
> to reset `user-emacs-directory'.

Yeah, I knew it would come to this. So thanks
for saying it. Now I know it also needs to
happen...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573